Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Saga Continues...


(Image from www.setanta.com)
So as I mentioned before I am training for the 2012 LA Marathon which will be my 3rd stab at it. My goal is to break 5hrs but I really want to break 4hrs. 30min, which I am definitely set to meet. I just started training and I am feeling really good. Had speed work yesterday- 3 sets of 4x400m- and after the last 400m my coach announced that the marathon world record had been broken by Patrick Makau of Kenya in Berlin on September 25. Makau set the new world record at 2:03:38, which is insane.

Check out the full article below from sbnation.com:
Sep 25, 2011 Patrick Makau broke the world record in the marathon on Sunday with a 2:03:38 performance at the Berlin Marathon. The Kenyan Makau beat legend Haile Gebrselassie's 2008 record by 21 seconds. Haile, from Ethiopia, had set that record in Berlin, as well. In fact, the last four world record marathons have been run at Berlin, which (accurately) bills itself as the world's fastest marathon.
 Haile ran in 2011, but did not finish. The 38-year-old Ethiopian has never won Olympic gold in the marathon -- he has two golds in the 10K -- and will continue to attempt to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics. Makau ought to be the overwhelming favorite in London. The 2008 champion, Sammy Wanjiru, died after a fall off of a balcony earlier this year.
Florence Kiplagat won the women's race in Berlin, coming in at 2:19:45. The top American finisher on the men's side was Alex Crabill at 2:17:42.
Here is another article from the Wall Street Journal detailing the victory. Read the full article HERE

Although Makau holds the titled now, records are definitely made to be broken.