Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl- Episode 7!

So we have posted before about "The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl" (ABG) one of our favorite web shows right now. If you haven't checked out episode 7 yet "The Date", I wanted to share it. Definitely a winner in our books.

ABG has definitely been gaining traction from when they first started the series until now. They started a Kickstarter campaign to keep the show going and fans have been really showing their support. They originally had pledged a $30,000 goal amount and have far exceeded it with a total of 44k thus far and will be bringing us 5 more new episodes. We feel it is always good to support those who are using their creativity in a way that is different from the mainstream.

If you would like to support a hilarious web series you can donate HERE to their Kickstarter which has 1 day to go! Make sure you check out the entire web series...episodes 1-7... you will be laughing till it hurts!



Why ABG exists:
Television today has a very limited scope and range in its depictions of people of color. As a black woman, I don’t identify with and relate to most of the non-black characters I see on TV, much less characters of my own race. When I flip through the channels, it's disheartening. I don’t see myself or women like me being represented. I’m not a smooth, sexy, long-haired vixen; I’m not a large, sassy black woman; an angry Post Office employee. I’m an awkward black girl.


(Read the entire summary at the kickstarter link)

-Bridgette Ivory