Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake Rocks the East Coast!

Wow! I only thought earthquakes happened here on the West Coast. Now they have made there way to the East Coast. Its being reported that the quake that hit Virginia was a 5.8! pretty big for not being known to have them. I am sure the quake had many people on edge and unsure as to what they were experiencing. Check out this video that shows some of the post-quake damage. The Ivorys hope that every one is safe and sound and that they aren't letting the quake get the best of them.



Yahoo News via AP reports this as, " the most powerful earthquake to strike the East Coast in 67 years shook buildings and rattled nerves from South Carolina to Maine on Tuesday. Frightened office workers spilled into the streets in New York, and parts of the White House, Capitol and Pentagon were evacuated. There were no immediate reports of deaths, but fire officials in Washington said there were at least some injuries."

In lower Manhattan, the 26-story federal courthouse, blocks from ground zero of the Sept. 11 attacks, began swaying, and hundreds of people streamed out of the building.

The New York police commissioner, Raymond Kelly, was in a meeting with top deputies planning security for the upcoming anniversary when the shaking started. Workers in the Empire State Building spilled into the streets, some having descended dozens of flights of stairs.


"I thought we'd been hit by an airplane," said one worker, Marty Wiesner.

Another, Adrian Ollivierre, an accountant, was in his office on the 60th floor when the quake struck: "I thought I was having maybe a heart attack, and I saw everybody running. I think what it is, is the paranoia that happens from 9/11, and that's why I'm still out here — because, I'm sorry, I'm not playing with my life."
- Associated Press